Monday, December 22, 2008

let's try this...

...we'll see how far i get before i get sick...

...so after our 48 hour stint in the ICU...being woken ever hour for my doppler (the ultrasound that they move over the breast to make sure that the blood is a' flowin) and having spiked fevers of over 102, we were finally moved to our own room!!! it was wonderful...the hourly wakenings going to closer to four hour periods, though i think i lost count while in and out of my own dream states...my parents got a cot! so no longer sleeping sitting up in chairs or laying on waiting room floors...it was magic!

...so it's finally time for me to get up and do some walking...here i go...i got all of my bags and hook ups managed and ventured into the hall...pop taking pictures on his camera phone all the while...well after about ten steps i have this really weird sensation of wetness...from my waist down...pouring wetness...holy shit what the hell is going on!?!?! abort mission abort abort!!! i freak out...turn around and haul ass to my room...what the hell is going on!?

...as i later come to learn...some of my drains were dripping...which is totally normal, but no one warned be about that...no one warned me about this drain business, the leaking, the draining, the clogging...no one tells you about this part...the gross stuff...

...well needless to say, i had my first cry...i sat in my private bathroom and for the first time through it all, i shed a few tears...now this wasn't a total breakdown, but i cried...it was all just too much...

...but then the nurse came in and explained to me what was going on and i cleaned myself up and pulled it back together...back to bed for me...the walk was nowhere near the success i was hoping for...but a necessary experience none the less...

...so these drains that no one tells you about...two from each armpit, two from my belly...these long tubes with big bulbs on the end to suck the fluid out of me...gross...how to manage them? well in the hospital they were all pinned to the inside of my gown...which let me tell you was FUN!!! every time i stood up, which due to my hunched over position, i felt like a cow with utters hanging down...so friggin gross! but once i got home (the beauty of writing after the fact) my mother created me these little vests with pockets...so instead of pinned up, i just had to put the drains into the pockets and it was far more manageable! the little things....did i mention what an amazing woman my mother is? she is unbelievable...just speaking about drains, she takes care of them for me...empties them, measures them, strips them...everything...and it's all so gross, i don't know how she does it!?

...well about two days after i got home the top four drains came out...i had to go back to the hospital to have them taken out (hurt like a mo fo!!!)...but it was so worth it...i was finally able to move my arms again!!!! ah the little things...right now i am waiting to have the bottom two removed...i thought it would be this morning, but as it turns out i'm still producing too much on 6 and it looks like i will need to wait until tomorrow or the next day...no worries, i can deal....

No comments: